Monday, March 19, 2007

Amazing Night

Ok... so I realize that I have not completed my previous blog, but I feel very compelled to write certain things on this particular blog. Today was a horrible day. Between work and nearly everything else I just knew my night was going to keep going down hill. After work I went to Brian's for dinner. We went through our normal routine of asking each other how our day was. He made the mistake by asking me first. One question started an explosion of emotions and an uncontrollable amount of complaining. It was something that I couldn't help. It was flowing like a waterfall out of my mouth. When I finally slowed down (and those of you who know me well, know that when I get to talking it gets pretty fast and hard to get me to stop) he grabbed me and gave me a "Brian Bear" hug. For those of you who don't know, that is the best kind of hug you will ever receive. The hug made me feel better, but everything that happened continued to weigh heavy on my mind. I found out later that he also had a bad day, but he was so concerned about me that he didn't bring it up until I asked.

We ate dinner as scheduled. After our tummies were full I saw Brian rummaging around for something. This was a man on a mission. After about 5 minutes of searching I saw him pull something out that made my jaw drop. He pulled out his Bible. Those of you who don't know Brian let me give you some insight on his past. Unlike my family, Brian didn't grown up in a church. His Grandmother is a regular at her church in Vidallia, but other than that he hasn't has very much spiritual guidance in his life. Since we have been together he has been with me and my family a few things... but it just wasn't anything that TRULY interested him. For the past two weeks WE have gone to a new church. In just two weeks we have seen changes in each other that we didn't know possible. To be honest I didn't know that Brian owned a bible. (I want everyone to know that I'm not bashing him by any means. Just giving you a taste of his background) I have noticed Brian asking questions about the message that was given that particular Sunday and I notice myself looking at Brian in a different light.

Brian pulled out that Bible and turned to the back. After a few seconds of reading he told me that I am tempted to be bitter about my job. I was blown away. I wanted to know more and I wanted to hear it from him. I could have read what the Bible had to tell me, but I wanted to hear it from Brian. He started looking up different verses about love, encouragement, and faith. There was one verse that he read that is so familiar to me, but in that setting it had a whole knew meaning.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

All the sudden I had peace with what happened at work. I realized that I was making work too much a part of my life. I was spending so much time being bitter about work that I was neglecting my love (God, my Family, my Friends, and Brian). God made me realize that I am not patient and I'm not always kind. I do envy, I do boast, and at times I am proud. I am sometimes rude and often self-seeking. I am angered too easily and have an entire book of the wrongs i have recorded. At times I delight in evil and don't always rejoice in truth. I don't always protect, trust, hope, or preserve.

When the light bulb finally came on I realized that LOVE NEVER FAILS. I'm not perfect, but instead of dwelling over something that only takes up 40 hours of a 168 hour week... it's time to work on the my relationship with those people who I spend those other 128 hours with. I hear so much, "How can someone dislike you?" Well, I may be easy to get along with, but man, the above paragraph is enough for me.

Brian and I shared something that we had never shared before, God. So, needless to say my night was totally changed and this has turned out to be one AMAZING NIGHT!
God Bless and Good night!


4 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my precious angels...God is working in both of your lives. He has great plans for you. Isn't it wonderful? It makes my heart feel so peaceful knowing that you are seeking Him and that He is touching Brian's heart as well. Keep your eyes upward, my angel. This too shall pass. I love you so much. XXOO - Mimi

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Okay...let's see if I can't type through the tears! You are right AMAZING ~ all things are possible with GOD! I had that Cor. passage about love read at my wedding and it's always been one of my favorites. It sure does put into perspective what should be important in our lives and what LOVE truly is.
You and Brian going to church together and sharing the Word of God together will only start your marriage off on the best foot possible. It will make you a stronger couple now and as you continue to grow together in the Lord your marriage will be so protected in a world where marriage is not taken seriously enough. I'm praying for you girlfriend!
Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Unknown said...

Great story! It's amazing what God can do! Don't stress about your job -- you've got big and wonderful things in store for you!

Unknown said...

That was so touching! You and Brian have grown up so much! I am so glad that I have been able to be apart of two of the most precious people lives':) Love you two!